August 21, 2014 1:42 am
Modern kitchens are generally built with space and convenience in mind. But if you’re living with an older kitchen, there are easy additions you may want to consider to maximize available space and cooking area.
The Wall St. Journal’s home and living editors provide their top six suggestions:
- Kitchen island – A kitchen island can double or triple both food preparation and storage space. An inexpensive portable island can give you space and flexibility.
- Wall oven – It’s a lot easier to baste a turkey at eye level than it is when it’s below the stove – and there’s something to be said for the extra elbow room it will give you when you are multi-tasking in the kitchen. Lastly, a wall oven with two compartments gives you extra baking space and the availability of convection or rotisserie options.
- Cabinet organizers/lazy susans/pullout shelves – Easy access to pantry items and pots and pans make food preparation easier and faster. Consider having lazy susans, pull-out shelves and other organizers built into your kitchen cabinets.
- Pot and pan racks – If cabinet space is an issue, think about wall-mounted racks to keep you most-used pots and pans within easy reach. A trip to the home store or a look online will yield plenty of options.
- Dishwashers – Today’s large capacity and energy-efficient dishwashers are a boon to the family cook. Install one if you don’t already have one built in – or replace the one you have if it’s more than seven or eight years old.
- Ventilation system – Experts say that cooking churns out airborne contaminants like nothing else in the home – and even food that smells great while it’s cooking doesn’t smell so good hours or days later. With the right ventilation system, odors and contaminants will become a thing of the past.
Published with permission from RISMedia.
November 30, 2012 11:56 am
As Thanksgiving 2012 approaches, we have just survived the largest storm to hit the Lehigh Valley in our lifetime. Fortunately, most of us locally only lost power, a few trees, shingles and maybe a car – not our homes. As we deal with the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy, I’ve been looking for the positives in this experience. (Read More
February 10, 2012 8:43 pm
February 19, 2012 Doors open at 1 pm till 3.
106 Center Dr., Hamilton Twp $199,900
Brand new on the market. Be one of the 1st to tour this great home.
114 Quaker Dr., Bethlehem Twp $153,900
New Price - Owners are serious and willing to look at serious offers.
February 26, 2012 Doors open at 1 pm till 3.
37 N. 17th St., Allentown $159,900
New Price - We've made special financing available that will allow you to finance any improvements you'd like to make. Details at Open House.
January 22, 2012 12:26 pm
Since real estate is one of the leading indicators of the economy, you might be interested in this article. http://money.cnn.com/2012/01/20/real_estate/home_sales/index.htm
January 20, 2012 4:47 am
FREE Home Seller Seminar! Sunday, Feb. 12th, starting 1pm till 2:30.
Get all the tools you need to “Be Prepared” when entering the real estate process. Learn how to sell your home in 30 days for Top Dollar, hassle free. We created this seminar because we saw how Home Sellers were losing money day after day when selling their home because they were not prepared. We will give you all the tools you need so you can make sure that you keep every penny you can in your pocket. Attending a seminar is a must! Learn from an expert.
January 13, 2012 7:46 pm
Do you love antiques and old world charm? Do you believe "They just don't make them like they used to"? You will absolutely fall in love with 37 N. 17th St., Allentown. Natural woodwork, pocket doors, stained glass windows, duel staircases, gas fireplace and the list goes on.
Open House this Sunday, 1/15 from 1-3 pm. We've made some special financing options on this home. Details will be available at the Open House.
See you Sunday.
December 27, 2011 7:55 am
Open Houses are Sunday 1-3pm
Jan. 8 - 114 Quaker Dr., Bethlehem Twp $159,900 This is one of the largest units in Penns Farms. 3/2.5 townhouse condo with family room is in need of paint and carpet. Well worth your sweat equity. Jan. 8 is also Elvis' birthday! Give us your best Elvis impersonation and there may be a door prize in your future.
Jan. 15 - 37 N. 17th St., Allentown. $169,900 West Park Historic District. This gorgeous West Park single home has been featured in STYLE magazine because of it stunning stained glass, natural woodwork, pocket doors, fireplace and the list goes on.
Jan. 22 - TBD
Jan. 29 - TBD